now it is summer it is very warm which can be dangerous for us dogs. below i will put a few tips and products to help you keep cool!
1) paddling pool – this is great for splashing in and keeping cool. you can also put toys in to play. you can use a kids pool or a hard shell used for a sandpit instead of a specific dog pool. or you could go to the river or the sea
2) frozen kong – place food such as peanut butter, mashed banana, dog food, cheese or dog gravy in a kong and place in freezer to make a nice cool treat. if you dont have a kong fill a small shallow bowl or anysafe hollow object to make a frozen block.
3) cool mat – this is a gel mat that is pressure activated when dog lays on it to keep them cool. lots of different types and sizes. some mats charge up through non-use while others go in the freezer
4) cool coat – our personal favorite is the ruffwear swamp cooler but may be pricey for some owners. cool coats are worn like a regular rain coat on the dog and wrap underneath. most are activated by wetting the coat and will keep your dog and their organs cool for around 3-5hrs depending on brand. this is ideal if your dog spends time outdoors or has to go walking in the heat
5) life jacket – these will keep your dog safe while keeping cool in the water should they go in the river or sea or if around water such as on a boat. not all dogs are natural or confident swimmers and may need a bit of extra support when swimming. we reccomend the hurtta life jacket.
6) dog shoes – dogs paws can burn very easily when walking on concrete as the temperatures are so high. if you have to go out get a set of boots for your dog to wear. we use the brand paws which are rubber and come in varying sizes , they are suitable for if your dog has injuries, for snow, ice and sun and are disposable. for a higher price ruffwear also do hardwearing quality boots for climbing
7) elevated bed – these are beds raised off the floor allowing cool air to flow under the bed keeping your dog cool. these beds are usually made of mesh or canvas allowing air to get to the dog and can hose down. we reccomend hi-k9 who are also on facebook. they also have a sun shade that attaches
8) doggy sun cream – usefull for thin hair breeds such as whippets and mexiacan hairless and dogs that burn easily. available from petkin as a spray or wipes to put on ears, nose and any other showing skin. spf 15 and safe. the petkin one is the only one i have seen and available from amazon and a few online shops
9) toys!!! lots of toys that can be frozen or go in water.
fatcat freeze and chew or multipet chillybone – these can be placed in the freezer for an hour and took out to chew and play with
hydroball/ring – put under or in water before use then play. when your dog bites it water will come out leaving them refrshed. we found you need a good bite to work.
kong floating toy – allows you to throw toy into water and it will float allowing dog to retrieve. brightly colored with a rope. also the water wubba which can be thrown or tugged and squeaks
10) shade – pick a spot under a tree or canopy for the dog bed or blanket. many dogs will not move once settled and cannot tell you they are too warm. heatstroke can happen very quickly.
check your dog regularly and dont let them sit out in the sun for long.
make sure they always have access to water and change it often to keep it cool.
if the dog is panting heavily, drooling, shaking or other signs of overheating then get her out of the heat and to the vets. try to get temperature down using cool water and wet towels . heat can kill in 30mins!